Off my chest

It was everywhere.


On the bed, in laundry baskets, on the floor.


Clean laundry was everywhere I turned, demanding to be put away. Normally, I'd tell the laundry to hold the phone until Saturday but I found myself with a "free" hour this morning as my BOB run got rained out and Miles decided to take a nap after spending 15 minutes screaming in his crib while I took a shower.


I began separating the mountain into piles - Mark, Miles, Kim, Kim's running gear. As I made some headway, I made a shocking discovery: I have more work out clothes than I do actual work clothes.

And what's so sad about the situation is not that I end up wearing the same handful of outfits to the office. Nope. It's that my tech tees, tights and wicking socks are relegated to the most unfortunate of places.


A paper box on a shelf next to the chest of drawers.

Mark and I are in desperate need of a sizable, quality dresser (have been since we got married) and are currently sharing the chest of drawers he had ... as a child. I have two small half-size drawers and three mediocre-size drawers that are just enough to store tank tops, knit shirts, T-shirts and leggings. I would love to have room for my workout wear in the chest but I just don't have room.

Or do I?

Seeing as a complete revamp of my clothing organization system was the best way to spend my "ohmygodmilesisnapping" time, I dumped the contents of my dresser on the bed and quickly began working. Underthings were put in a basket on the shelving system, tank tops and pajamas were moved up to their spots.Any top with a sleeve was hung in the closet, and T-shirts, which I rarely wear, were thrown on a chair. Because, you know, that's where they belong.


I did have to make some room in the closet for the new additions. Anything deemed "outerwear" was moved to the hall closet downstairs.

I now had three drawers to put all things wicking - and let me tell you, I needed them. Tanks and bras in one, short- and long-sleeve tops in another and pants and socks in the last one. The only items that didn't fit were running jackets/half-zips and I figured they could count as outerwear, shipping them downstairs.

The box of shame was empty. Giving me somewhere to put my T-shirts.

How do you organize your workout wear? Do you find that you have more Nike Tempos than Nine West pants?